My previous writing experiences have all been directly related to my academics. Through high school, Hanover High School, my ability for different levels of writing varied. My freshmen, junior, and senior year of high school were the easy years. My sophomore year I took advanced English and did not do too well. For college, Virginia Commonwealth University, I took UNIV 111 and UNIV 112, which is Focused Inquiry part 1 and part 2. While in part 1 of Focused Inquiry I received a D while in part 2 I received a C. I took part 1 in spring of 2009 last year. In this class we wrote most of our essays composed of linking different aspects in life to Paulo Freire's "The Banking Concept of Education." When it came to reading, understanding, and writing about Paulo Freire's work it did not come easy for me until I read his essay five times. The classes’ grades were also composed of journals and a portfolio at the end of the semester. My teacher said I tended to stick to one topic and not give enough attention to other topics that related to my main idea. He also said I did not give enough hard facts to always prove my point. I felt like in part 2 of Focused Inquiry there was a lot more work but because of all the work we did in class I believe that is why I received a better grade. Part 2, which I took this year at VCU in the fall of 2009, was composed of blogs, essays, timed essay tests, portfolios, and multiple presentations. In part 2 we wrote different varieties of essays. One essay was on "A Memory that Matters," the second essay was an argumentative essay, the third was how, for example, setting relates to the book "Maus," and the fourth essay was a research essay. The research essay composed of one to two page bibliography MLA format, a proposal, and a five to six page essay. As you could assume, yourself, the research essay was the hardest for me. In order to write this essay you had to read one of the two summer reading books and then relate a problem in the book to the career field you are in. Then once you had done that you had to find other papers, articles, news, or anything with documentation that related to the problem. Once you gathered five reliable other pieces of work you took the problem in your book then went on to explain the problems that arise from your career field. My teacher, professor Shelden, said I was best at proving an essay on one topic and argumentative essays. She also said when I had writen the Research essay that I did not stay on the right path. Basically, I am so glad I am out of that class.
In English, ENG, 111 i hope to learn how to ling two ideas by using a strong connection or contrast between the two. I hope to be more confident with my writing. I know that during ENG 111 we will write a research essay so I would like to be well prepared for when that part of the course comes. I also want to be able to apply myself towards essays and work with the professor and other students to better my writing abilities.
At the moment at J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College I am persuing a general education, but hope to be next semester working towards an architectural engineering degree. In this field I will need to be able to write proposals for possible employers or clients. I hope to gain the most I can from this class in order to better my career options.
Thursday, January 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I enjoyed reading your diagnostic. Don't forget to do your blog about the first reading ...
ReplyDelete